Monday, September 6, 2010

And a great weekend it was!

Friday night I posted that Grace and I had a fun start to what was sure to be a great weekend--and a great weekend it was!

Grace woke up early Saturday morning with a bit of a coughing fit. I got up, got her some medicine and then, since it was still dark out, she came to bed with me. It wasn't very restful though. She kept popping up and saying, "Hi!" And of course she thought putting her feet in my face was hilarious. Finally at 7:00 we decided to get up since light was peeking in through the blinds. I made Grace blueberry pancakes for breakfast...Mickey Mouse shaped, of course!


Then it was time to get ready for a play date at the zoo with our friends Jenn and Porter. Grace tried out her new pull ups and although she did wet them, she did ask to go potty at the zoo, which was a big deal. We're not pushing the potty training but she does seem to be starting to get it a bit more. Funny story--we were ready to leave and I needed to turn the dryer off so I ran the 10 feet through the kitchen to the dryer and Grace started SCREAMING and stomping her feet. I of course ran back and asked her what was the matter. Her response, "Daisy! Hug!" Daisy ran away when Grace tried to give her a hug goodbye. I grabbed Daisy, let Grace give her a hug and kiss, say, "Bye Bye Daisy!" and our crisis was averted :-)


Saturday was a very cool, fall-like day--the perfect day to be at the zoo! Grace and Porter had so much fun together! As a bonus, it was the Labor Union's Family Day at the park so, while the zoo is usually free, you have to pay for the rides but they were all free thanks to the Union. We kind of felt like we were party crashers but it was open to the public :-)

At the river otter exhibit

Walking in the tunnel, through the "river" with the otters

Porter taking G for a ride on the tractor

Petting the goats


Grace decided she had enough of the zoo and was ready for the rides!

The boat ride.

The helicopter ride. Of course the one they chose went way up high. Jenn and I were a bit freaked out but you could hear them giggling from where we were standing under the ride...they loved it!

After the rides, including a train ride around the park, we walked over to Arni's for lunch. They have a mini arcade and Grace and Porter had fun "playing" the race car game. Following lunch we made a stop at the the playground and then it was homeward. Grace was asleep within 3 minutes of being in the car :-) The rest of the day we just hung out at home and played, ate dinner, and played some more.


Sunday, Grace woke up with a coughing fit again so I decided we'd have a snuggle day. We watched some Sesame Street, played some cards (Memory--we have them all flipped up and she finds the matches), read some books and colored...notice the smears on her face below from the red marker--thankfully they were washable!


We also played dress up...



After her nap, Grace and I decided to finally get dressed for the day and headed to Target to get some groceries. We had so much fun at Target! We went to the snack bar and shared a soft pretzel before doing our shopping and then we wandered the store, picked up Potty Time with Elmo DVD, a Sesame Street coloring book and some crayons (see photo above of marker on face!), and our groceries. It was so cute. I would be pushing Grace in the cart and all of a sudden she would hold her arms open and say, "Hug!" I can think of very few things that have made me happier. She is SUCH a sweet girl! We got home and made homemade, low-fat Fettuccine Alfredo. Grace absolutely went nuts over it--I love it when that happens!

"Yum! Dinner!"

Today was our most packed day yet. We got up and hung out, reading and watching Sesame Street for a bit. The we had to get ready for our fun-filled day.


First we met my advisor, Stacey, and her St. Bernard, Tuff at the park for a walk. I don't think Grace knew what to make of Tuff at first but by the end she absolutely loved him!




On our walk, we ran into a recent Purdue grad, Charlie, and his family. He has a little boy, Eli, who is about 6 months older than Grace. They had fun playing together and with Tuff.



Pooh Bear tree

Look at how big Tuff's water bowl is!


We left the park and headed over to our friend Kari's apartment for a picnic and a swim. The water was so cold but we all got in and Grace had fun jumping off the side and then having Kari and I "toss" her back and forth.


Grace crashed when we got home. Mark's cousin, Lynn, and her boyfriend, Ryan stopped by on their way home from Cincinnati. We let Grace sleep for a while but they didn't have long to visit so we finally woke Grace up. She was not a happy camper at first but I think she was happy to see Lynn and Ryan, I know I was :-) We finished out our perfect weekend with a play session outside after dinner and a wagon walk with Daisy. We're excited for Mark to get home tomorrow but we definitely enjoyed our girl time!


No comments: