Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Marathon Weekend

This past weekend we journeyed to the great state of Nebraska! Why you may ask...Mark and his cousin Brian ran the Omaha Marathon.

Omaha really is a beautiful city and we were fortunate to have several of Mark's cousins join us for the trip. In addition to Brian, we were also able to see Kristen, Lynn, and Joy. Below are pictures from our adventures.

We were able to find better flights out of Chicago so Mark, Grace, and I headed up to Chicago Friday night and stayed at a hotel right near the airport. It worked out so well. We got up when Grace woke up, got ready and headed to the airport for our 8:30 flight. I must admit, Mark and I were both a bit worried about traveling with a baby who wants to be constantly moving, a stroller, carseat, a duffle bag with Grace's toys and my laptop, and one suitcase that we had squeezed everything into so we didn't have to check bags--our hands were FULL! But everything went amazingly smoothly! We got our boarding passes, cruised through security, and had time to enjoy a breakfast together in the terminal.

On the plane, Grace was great. She loved pulling everything out of the seat in front of us, looking out the window, jumping back and forth between the two of us, and peering over the seat and smiling at everyone sitting behind us. By the end of the flight she was sound asleep on Daddy's lap!


When we got to Omaha we checked our luggage at our hotel, met the twins and headed to lunch in the "Old Market" district. We also found an amazing bakery where I got a Snickers covered carmel apple--yum! Everything looked so good that the girls headed back there for breakfast the next day while the boys were running.


We then headed to a great park in the center of downtown. There was a canal running through the center, two huge slides, and lots of green space. We sat there and Grace played in the lawn for about an hour. It was just gorgeous!


We were then joined by the Krohmers and were able to check in to our hotel. Our hotel had a huge indoor waterpark so Brian, Mark, Grace and I headed down to check it out. I thought Grace would like it more than she did but I think she was just exhausted. We'll have to try out another one when she's a little older.


The rest of the evening consisted of a dinner at the hotel, bedtime for Grace, Mark and Brian, and a girls' night out for the four of us ladies! We had so much fun sitting at a little outdoor wine bar, catching up, and watching all the high schoolers who eating dinner in the Old Market before their homecoming dance.





The next day was another early morning. The marathon started at 7 a.m. and Grace was there at the start cheering on Daddy and Brian with her cow bell.

Unfortunately we only got to see them one other time during the race but they both did awesome! Brian finished in 4 hours and 24 minutes and Mark in 4 hours and 44 minutes! Amazing for 26.2 miles. For those of you keeping track, this was Mark's 12th marathon. All have been run in different states. He is almost 1/4 way to his goal of running a marathon in each state!
It's hard to see but Grace's shirt says "Run Daddy! Run!"


We had to check out of our hotel by 1 but our flight didn't leave until 6:40 so we had a lot of time to kill and Mark wasn't really mobile. So after lunch with the Krohmers we headed to the airport and were able to set up a play area in an empty seating area. It was perfect. Grace burned off a ton of energy after being in her stroller most of the day, I was able to do a little work, and Mark was able to rest.

The end of a great trip!

2 comments:

CR said...

WOW he had an amazing time. I had know idea he was a runner or a marathon runner at that! Let me know when he runs his marathon in Georgia :)

erin said...

I know I should be focused on the amazing accomplishment of Mark completing yet another marathon, but I just can't...all because you wrote the words "snickers covered caramel apple"...yum!