Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Separation Anxiety

Yesterday was a big day in our house. I have to start back to classes today so yesterday Mark, Grace and I did a test run. I pumped a bottle for her and when she was hungry I left the house. Our lactation consultant said that Grace would take the bottle much better if I wasn't there so off to the grocery store I went. I was a mess! To think that this was the first time in over 10 months that I didn't have my little girl with me was just a little bit too much for me. I wandered around the supermarket aimlessly for about a half an hour. Luckily, Mark and Grace did much better than I did! I called to see if I could come home yet and Mark informed me that Grace had downed the three ounces in 5 minutes, no problems whatsoever! Hopefully today goes as well--I don't think I've ever dreaded going to class this much though :-(

Since it was just Mark and Grace here for the bottle there is no picture, but no blog is complete without a picture so here is one of us with our friends Rebecca and Noah last night. Rebecca is one of my officemates and her little boy, Noah is 4 months old. They brought over a delicious dinner for us--thank you both!!! Noah and Grace will have so much fun together once they're a little bigger!

4 comments:

Squires Family said...

I remember being in your shoes and doing the same thing. I was a wreck and a complete mess at the grocery store (I too left Amelia with Nick to test the bottle feeding and went to the store). It will get easier I promise!! After about the second or third day it is much much easier...and the best part is that you will always know that no matter how rough a day you are having that sweet little baby girl is going to be so happy to see you!!!

Anonymous said...

I can't begin to tell y'all how much I enjoy the Blog visits. Next to being there it is the greatest.

Hope today went well at class. Know Mark enjoyed feeding Grace. A Lactation Consultant is a new one on me. What a good idea to have that helped.

GG

ashley.and.graham said...

Hi Elizabeth,
Please know that I'll be thinking of you and praying for you all as you make this transition. From my own experience, the first day back at work was fine -- I was busy and had emotionally gotten very prepared. Day 4 was when it hit me, but somehow it did begin to get better. Knowing that Eden was having quality time with someone else, that I was having something different to think about for a short bit, and that I got to go right back was a good thing. I did find myself being much less patient with meetings where nothing got done (so annoying, even more so now) and was worn out physically when I first began to venture out -- it takes alot of energy to get showered, dressed, gather everything up and actually make it to campus, plus class and making it home. Anyhow, know that you're not alone if you go through any of this stuff. Know that you are a great Mom! Grace is lucky to have such a smart, dedicated, hard-working mommy to call her own. Plus, the christmas break is right around the corner -- more snuggle time with the little ones -- I can't wait!
love, ashley

Rebecca D. said...

It was so fun meeting Grace! She is just precious and it is clear you are all doing such a great job of caring for her. And just think...when you leave, Mark is able to get bonding time with Grace that he and she both need, so you are doing them a favor! I'm sure he loves the time with her!